- 1 Is South Padre Island Dangerous?
- 2 Is South Padre Island worth visiting?
- 3 What is the best time of year to visit South Padre Island?
- 4 How long does it take to drive from Dallas to South Padre Island?
- 5 What’s the prettiest beach in Texas?
- 6 Are there sharks in South Padre Island?
- 7 Which is better corpus or Padre?
- 8 What is there to do in South Padre Island at night?
- 9 What is South Padre Island known for?
- 10 Can you swim in South Padre Island?
- 11 Which side of Padre Island is better?
- 12 What airport do you fly into for Padre Island?
- 13 What city is closest to South Padre Island?
- 14 How do you get to South Padre Island?
- 15 How far is South Padre Island from Houston?
Is South Padre Island Dangerous?
South Padre Island has a population of approximately 2,881 people, making the violent crime rate 1,804 per 100,000 people. According to the FBI, SPI had 52 known violent crimes in 2017, 0 murders, 16 rapes, 8 robberies, 28 aggravated assaults, 416 property crimes, 33 burglaries, 369 thefts, and 14 motor vehicle thefts.
Is South Padre Island worth visiting?
South Padre Island is definitely one of those destinations. After spending four days there, I concluded that not only is it a great destination for people who love the heat and the outdoors, but it’s also a year-round destination that can appeal to everyone from Spring Breakers to families with kids.
What is the best time of year to visit South Padre Island?
The best time to visit South Padre Island is from September to February. Unless you are planning to join in on the spring break fun – rowdy partying at all hours of the day – you’ll find this tiny town rather unbearable in March.
How long does it take to drive from Dallas to South Padre Island?
Driving time from Dallas, TX to South Padre Island
The total driving time is 8 hours, 21 minutes.
What’s the prettiest beach in Texas?
- Boca Chica. #1 in Best Beaches in Texas.
- Padre Island National Seashore. #2 in Best Beaches in Texas.
- View 26 Photos. South Padre Island.
- Mustang Island. #4 in Best Beaches in Texas.
- Rockport Beach. #5 in Best Beaches in Texas.
- Crystal Beach. #6 in Best Beaches in Texas.
- View 18 Photos. Corpus Christi.
- Lighthouse Beach.
Are there sharks in South Padre Island?
SOUTH PADRE ISLAND – Whether it’s on the bay or ocean, odds are there’s probably a shark not too far away; however experts say not to worry. Lemon, nurse, and bull sharks have also been spotted, and lately one particular species has made their way into the Gulf.
Which is better corpus or Padre?
South Padre Island is a far superior beach than Port A/ Corpus Christi. The beaches in Padre are beautiful and the water is clear. Corpus area has murky water and sub par beaches. In short South Padre is definitely worth the extra drive.
What is there to do in South Padre Island at night?
These places are best for nightlife in South Padre Island:
- Driftwood Landing.
- Louie’s Backyard.
- Clayton’s Beach Bar & Event Venue.
- Laguna BOB.
- Tequila Sunset.
What is South Padre Island known for?
With 34 miles of beautiful white sand and clear emerald water, South Padre Island is one of the world’s most exquisite barrier islands – and the only tropical Island in Texas. Calm weather and water and more than 300 days of sunshine make South Padre Island a great place to live and visit all year.
Can you swim in South Padre Island?
South Padre Island is one of the most popular vacation destinations in the United States. Swimming, fishing, kiteboarding, dolphin watching, horseback riding adventures on the beach, ecological tours and access to personal water craft rentals are available on the island.
Which side of Padre Island is better?
In my opinion I like North Padre Island better. A lot lot less commercialized and less expensive too. But, there are a lot more choices for different hotels on the beach in South Padre Island. North Padre also lets you drive on the beach and pick the spot you would like to be at or just enjoy seeing the beach.
What airport do you fly into for Padre Island?
What is the nearest airport to South Padre Island? The nearest airport to South-Padre–Island is Brownsville (BRO) Airport which is 21.6 miles away. Other nearby airports include Harlingen (HRL) (32.1 miles), McAllen (MFE) (67.3 miles), Corpus Christi (CRP) (118 miles) and Monterrey (MTY) (185.6 miles).
What city is closest to South Padre Island?
Brownsville. Approximately 30 miles southwest of South Padre Island, Brownsville is known as one of the most historic cities in Texas.
How do you get to South Padre Island?
Visitors can also fly into Valley International Airport (VIA) in Harlingen – about 40 miles west of South Padre – and catch the South Padre Shuttle to the island (one-way fares cost $35 per passenger). Car rentals are also available. South Padre is very walkable because of its small size and grid layout.
How far is South Padre Island from Houston?
The distance between Houston and South Padre Island is 277 miles.